Thursday, October 14, 2010

After the big day, what to do with the dress?


The wedding day is over... all the planning, all the stress, and all the fun is gone. As brides we are left with writing thank you notes and wondering what to do with our dream dress. Many brides take their dress to a dry cleaners and have it cleaned and preserved. You may want to save your dress for memories or for a future daughter to wear one day.
After my wedding I was debating on what to do with my dress. I thought it would be great if I could give it to my daughter one day to wear.... but what if I don't have a daughter... what if she doesn't like lace? Even with changing the dress to fit with the style of her times she wouldn't be able to do much with it if she didn't like lace.
So after much debate I decided it would be best to sell my dress. Yes it will be sad to see it go, but it is more worth it to me to get back at least half of my money back from the dress right now and spend it on things that will be needed just down the road...like nursery decor :).

So where is the best place for  you to sell your dress? Here are a few options:

Ebay: Easy, set up an account and post pictures. The negatives are that Ebay will take a percentage of your sale.
Craigslist: Post your dress online for free, no one will take any percentage of your sale. The drawback is that you will have strangers coming into your home and trying on your dress to see if they want it. 
OnceWed: Oncewed allows brides to post their dress for free and sell it to brides all over the world. Its totally free and they give you suggestions on how to accept payments safely. 
PreOwned: Preownedweddingdresses is very similar to Oncewed. It costs a one time fee of $25 to list your dress.

Image via weddingbee.com

No comments:

Post a Comment